Sunday, April 14, 2013

My first project-A 1997 Squier Stratocaster

This craziness all started with a couple of Craigslist purchases. Isn't that always the way?

First I responded to a Craigslist ad for a brown pearloid loaded Stratocaster pickguard with all electronics and Vintage Noiseless pickups still attached. It was advertised for $75.  I called the number in the craigslist ad and it turned out to be someone I knew-Terry Parker of the great local band Southlander! Check them out sometime-they are a truly great group! http://www.reverbnation.com/southlander After some friendly catching up, Terry made me a great deal and sold me the pickguard with electronics for $50. My intention was to use the pickups in another guitar I had laying around.

Fender Player's Strat. I purchased this exact pickguard and electronics from Terry Parker for $50!


After getting the pickguard home, I decided it would be a real shame to tear it apart. I decided it would make more sense to find a cheap Strat and assemble a "Partscaster."

Squier headstock w/ 'Spaghetti' logo. 
While perusing Craigslist again, I happened upon a black 1997 Squier Strat with a gorgeous maple fingerboard. This particular model had the "Spaghetti" logo on the headstock so I knew it was one of the better quality Squiers-probably a 'Squier Standard'. This seemed like a good place to start to make an inexpensive guitar for gigging. I met the young man who owned it in Fort Oglethorpe, tested the guitar and paid him the asking price of $100.

Squier as purchased

Upon getting the guitar home I did some research, it turned out my Craigslist find was a Korean Squier Strat with a KV serial number made by Saehan. From 1996-1998 Saehan turned out Squiers that were known for better-than-average bodies and gorgeous maple necks with the meaty 'vintage' radius that I prefer.
At this point I realized I had what I needed to make a great sounding guitar...for an initial $150 investment!! Stay tuned as I put them together!



No comments:

Post a Comment