Sunday, February 16, 2014

Getting ready to finish my custom Squier Strat

So, as those of you that have been following this blog know, in early 2013 I purchased a black early 90's vintage Squier Strat with a maple fingerboard from Craigslist for $100. This particular Strat was manufactured by Saehan and has a beautiful maple neck with the meaty vintage fretboard radius I love so much. I purchased this guitar specifically to modify with the loaded pickguard I acquired from local Chattanooga musician Terry Parker for $50. The pickguard came out of a Player's Strat and was complete with Vintage Noiseless pickups and a switch that engages the bridge pickup when any combination of the neck and middle pickups are selected-which is a very useful "tele-esque" sound. My goal was a guitar suitable for gigging on a budget.

Last year, I retrofitted the pickguard into the guitar and obtained some gold pickguard screws to match the gold screws holding the pickups and switch. My plan all along was to obtain some gold vintage Kluson tuners to replace the abysmal imported "trapezoid" tuners, a gold tremolo bridge, gold strap buttons and a gold "football" jack so everything would match. I am pleased to report that those items have now been ordered from Guitar Fetish and should arrive in the next few days! I look forward to getting everything installed and showing off my fully customized and killer sounding bargain guitar!

At this point I have $155 in the guitar and it looks as pictured below. The gold hardware items I ordered will add another $100-leaving me with a total price tag of $250 and a still killer sounding Strat with looks to match! Stay tuned for the updates!!!!
Korean Squier Strat with loaded pickguard fitted. 

Current "trapezoid" tuners. These are junk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment